Friday, December 9, 2022

Learn 50 weird ways students make money

Owen Burek

by Owen Burek in Make Money

Updated by Nele van Hout
19 January 2022 ShareTweet

Student Loan not going far enough? A creative streak and strong stomach can take your wallet a long way. As the students in our surveys prove: where there’s a will, there’s a wage!

people holding emoji face signs

Every year the National Student Money Survey uncovers the bare truths about student finances across the UK – and we always enjoy hearing about unconventional ways to make money.

We’ve compiled a list of some of the most inventive, weird and unusual ways to make money that students have shared with us over the years…Listen to episode four of our podcast to hear some of the best ways to make money.

Unusual ways students make money

man with money

Credit: Linda Bestwick (background), Cookie Studio (foreground) – Shutterstock

Here are 50 weird ways to make money:

  1. Owl handling (it’s a thing).”
  2. Clinical trial – I got paid to give them my poo!”
  3. “Selling taxidermy I have made myself.”
  4. “Had to wander around a music festival dressed as a cleaner and occasionally play the violin in the Portaloos.”
  5. Selling my dirty underwear to a stranger (I had to ejaculate into them after wearing them for a day).”
  6. “Submitted a video of my dog skateboarding for a free fiver.”
  7. “Being dressed as a pancake.”
  8. “Helping someone who lied about having a friend to other people and faking being this ‘friend’.”
  9. “Food quality testing. Made about £7 for around two hours of eating food and filling out paid surveys.”
  10. “I spent my first-year summer matched betting.”
  11. “Babysitting a pet snake.”
  12. “I had an app from Ipsos MORI which tracked my app and internet usage on my phone and tablet. Although not for everyone, I didn’t find it too strange at first. But then I realised the app placed a parental lock on my browsers which I couldn’t get rid of, and I couldn’t look up anything remotely ‘adult’ themed.”
  13. Vaccinating fish.”
  14. “Took part in a research study where I had to look at disturbing images and say how I felt.”
  15. Selling toilet roll tubes on eBay.”
  16. Eaten an olive for £10.”
  17. “I used to be on a site where someone could rent you to be their friend for a day. It was a very weird experience but I got better pay than I expected!”
  18. Sending foot pics to a guy with a foot fetish in exchange for money.”
  19. I sold my hair.”
  20. “Took part in a study about daydreaming at uni.”
  21. “I ate a worm for a tenner once.”
  22. “Having to transport a full-size plastic horse on top of my car.”
  23. “I hired my dog out as a stud. He’s only had one job so far, might put him up on Gumtree?”
  24. Buying Bitcoin and selling some.”
  25. “Volunteering for a medical survey that involved cutting a small muscle from my thigh.”
  26. Sucked my friend’s toe for £100.”
  27. Selling a toaster to other students.”
  28. “My friend once bet me five pounds I wouldn’t bite into a lemon segment and hold it in my mouth for a minute.”
  29. “Spending time sitting in a fridge in a patient’s gown as part of a clinical trial.
  30. “Got paid £20 to pretend that I was smoking some guy’s cigarette because he was meant to have quit smoking and his friends were about to come over and see him.”
  31. “Copying stock market traders.”
  32. “Picking slugs out of watercress.”
  33. Confidence coaching (basically fake dates to help shy people).”
  34. Being an extra for a commercial.”
  35. “I poo pick a horse’s field… the pay is good!”
  36. Walking around a warehouse for 60 minutes in a circuit to train motion-sensor equipment.”
  37. Buying a coursebook on eBay and selling back to the uni shop for a profit.”
  38. Sperm donor.”
  39. “I had to be a ‘burp’ for an online kids’ TV programme and got paid £10.”
  40. Wearing a billboard on my high street.”
  41. “I once rented my room for a night to someone online, as they were in the city for a night to see a rugby game.”
  42. “Was paid around £20 to be a ‘patient’, with students repeatedly putting me in an arm sling.”
  43. “Was paid to take part in a study about anxiety (which made my anxiety worse).”
  44. Delivering takeaways at weekends with Deliveroo.”
  45. Taking the blame for someone’s flatulence at a party.”
  46. “Owning an item someone wore on TV… so I sold it.”
  47. “Selling homemade jam for an insane amount of money. People still bought it.”
  48. “Being an elf at a Christmas grotto.”
  49. “I sold a homemade cardboard Tardis on Etsy.”
  50. “Buying 600 shoe horns for 10p each in IKEA and selling them on eBay.”

(All direct quotes from Save the Student surveys)

Fancy making money from your own business? We’ve got plenty of business ideas you can set up from your uni room.

HOT DEALS

three asos gift cards yellow backgroundWin £250 of ASOS vouchersbranded surveysBranded Surveys – Payout for your opinionQmeeGet paid for searching the web with Qmeeamazon 10 gift cardsEarn £20 Amazon Vouchers

TRENDING

Planet Earth with a forest in the background and footstepsEasy ways to reduce your carbon footprintwoman pointing at piggy bankHow to save money – 83 money saving tipsNSMS 2021 the national student money surveyStudent Money Survey 2021 – Resultscreate a websiteHow to create a website in 20 minutescat on laptopBest paid online survey siteswoman with money and a laptop40 easy ways to make money quickly

Free money cheat sheet!

Go

Weekly deals, guides + free cheat sheet. Privacy policy

what are other people reading?

woman with money and a laptop40 easy ways to make money quicklyphone with ebay and pound signs16 profitable eBay selling tipsmatched betting offersMake money from Matched Betting (full guide)student tax refund guideStudent tax refunds – are you owed money?

Free money cheat sheet!

Continue 

Weekly deals, guides + free cheat sheet. Privacy policy

Comments

Ask us a question or share your thoughts!

Tweet @savethestudent – Facebook Message – Email ShareTweet

Next ArticleHow to make money from social media

Press logos

View Press Page

the student money website

Save the Student provides free, impartial advice to students on how to make their money go further.


The Story

 or Meet the Team


Job vacancies


Advertise


Press & media


Contact usRECENT POSTS

Best tax-free cash ISAs 2022

19 May 2022


14 skills to help you survive university

18 May 2022


Cheap ways to keep cool in the heat

18 May 2022


Best student broadband deals 2022

18 May 2022


STUDENT PICKSStudent money cheat sheet


Student money Podcast


Student loan calculator


Student discounts


Student job search


Parents’ guide to university


Useful resources


Disclaimer: All content on this website is based on individual experience and journalistic research. It does not constitute financial advice. Save the Student and its authors are not liable for how tips are used, nor for content and services on external websites. Common sense should never be neglected!

We sometimes use affiliated links which may result in a payment following a visitor taking action (such as a purchase or registration) on an external website. This helps keep Save the Student free. The user experience shouldn’t be any different, and our editorial decision making is not affected by such links.

Privacy Policy – Sitemap – © 2022 Save the Student. All Rights Reserved.Climate Positive Website

Like most sites, we use cookies to optimise your experience and serve personalised content. By using our website you agree to our use of cookies. More info

  Win! Deals

Finance

Banking

Make Money

Save Money

Jobs

Accommodation

Bills

Shopping

Study

No comments:

Post a Comment